Library Research Assignment
three (3) works of art
from three artists from the Baroque period through the Postmodern era. Your three (3) works of art should come from the time periods or art movements covered in the reading from Unit 4 and Unit 5. Your choices must comply with the following criteria:
- The 3 artworks chosen must be of the same style or time period. For example, you can choose oneof the following suggestions:
- 3 Baroque works of art, or
- 3 Impressionist works of art, or
- 3 Abstract Expressionist works of art, etc.
- Your three (3) works of art should have a similar theme. For example: 3 landscapes, or 3 works that focus on religious content, etc.
- Outof the three works of art by the three (3) artists selected,you must choose at least two (2) works from two artists discussed in the textbook.
- If you decide to choose one work of art that is not from the textbook, the artists must be discussed in the text. Begin your search by reviewing artists in the text. Then you can search other Internet sources for their other works of art.
This project is broken down into two parts.
- In Unit 4, you will work on the first three bullet points, which are highlighted in bold below, as well as an introduction and conclusion.
- The “final draft,” will be completed for Unit 5, and will cover the last two bullet points (listed in the Unit 5 Individual Project assignment).
Your final paper will be a 12001500 word critical essay about the three works of art you have chosen. The goals of a critical essay are to evaluate and analyze the artworks based on research, using the vocabulary and concepts you have learned. Your attitude should be detached (i.e., your personal opinions are not as important as academic concepts; The “critical” aspect of the essay refers to this detached attitude, not whether you react positively or negatively to the works).
Your essay must include the following points:
- A description of the works including the style. Describe basic facts, as well as the visual appearance of the work (What does the viewer see? Where are key figures located? What tells us that the work is of a particular style?)
- A summary of the artists’ personal philosophies of art (if they can be found in published sources), and the prevailing trends and schools of thought in the art world at the time and in the place the artist was working. For instance, discuss what was taking place in each artist’s city, country, and/or church that may have provoked a reaction from the artist or the greater society. Include any information that might help the reader understand the artist’s point of view or why the artist made his or her choices in this work of art.
- An explanation of how the works fit into the context of the time period.
- Compare the three works in terms of form, content, and subject matter. Using the terminology and concepts that you have learned in the course, explain the similarities and differences in the styles of the works and the context in which they were made.
- Compare and contrast their aesthetic qualities and symbolic significance, as well as the artists points of view. Your personal point of view that you have developed throughout the paper will be summarized here. As with the preceding three sections, you will write in your own words, supported by research.
You will need to use the Library to learn about the artists. In the Library:
- Click “Find Articles and Books”
- Search for artist’s name, time period or art movement, and/or title of the work of art.
- Click “Find Web Resources”
- Click “General Studies”
- Click “Art”
Note: You are required to comply with APA style formatting, including using quotation marks correctly, internal (in-text) citation, and a correct reference list. For additional information and resources on APA, visit the APA section of the Library, available under “Library Features.”
Submit the following with your rough draft:
- a cover page
- a fully developed rough draft that addresses the first three bullet points including an introductory paragraph (with a thesis statement), body, and conclusion
- a list of references
- images of the 3 works of art you chose
IMPORTANT: At least two (2) works of art that you choose must be from your textbook, and you must choose works by three (3) different artists.
For information on Macintosh Word shortcuts, click here.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials. Please refer to the following multimedia course material(s):
- Unit 4: Baroque, Enlightenment & Romantic Age
- Unit 4: The Baroque Period
- Unit 4: Impressionism
- Unit 4: Post-Impressionism & Art Nouveau
- Unit 4: Avant-garde
- Unit 4: The Belle Époque